Daphne, AL, US
Purpose of Position: To coordinate purchasing and inventory control activities, ensuring compliance with applicable purchasing standards, policies, and specifications.
Essential Functions: (Must be able to perform these functions with or without a reasonable accommodation).
· Coordinates purchasing/procurement of good/services for Utilities departments complying with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
· Conducts purchasing activities and processes related documentation, within designated timeframes and per established procedures.
· Receives and prioritizes requisitions in accordance with criteria such as required delivery date and complexity of processing or extent of required research; distributes requisitions to appropriate vendors with requested due date for response; follows up with vendors to confirm details or confirm status of response.
· Coordinates purchasing activities with vendors/service providers; researches and develops qualified vendor/supplier sources.
· Coordinates product selection; builds spreadsheets to conduct purchasing analyses; compiles vendor responses; compares vendor quotations and assesses prices, specifications, and delivery details; conducts negotiations with vendors as appropriate; determines bids which most closely meet Utilities’ requirements.
· Issues purchase orders; forwards copies of purchase orders to accounts payable and requesting department manager; expedites receipts of material to fulfill purchase orders.
· Coordinates receipt of orders with Warehouse Supervisor or Clerk to ensure all items ordered are received in good condition and as specified.
· Forwards purchase orders and receiving tickets to Accounts Payable for processing.
· Coordinates and manages company cell phone, uniform accounts and the disposal of company equipment via auction, sale, salvage or trade.
· Orders and maintains vehicle Certificate of Title, registration and license plates and manages company vehicles’ fuel cards.
· Conducts research to forecast future materials needs.
· Prepares and coordinates sealed bids for items over a designated amount; prepares and conducts bidders’ conferences and site visits.
· Assists in developing purchasing procedures and internal controls to ensure that purchases meet organizational needs/requirements, including quality, quantity, timeliness, and reasonable cost.
· Provides budgetary input and support; assists in obtaining quotes for development of departmental budgets.
· Ensures adherence to established safety procedures. utilizes safety equipment; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations in safety practices.
· Attends meetings, serves on committees, and makes presentations as needed.
· Regular attendance is required as outlined in the company’s attendance policy.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: (these are required to perform the essential functions of the job).
· Must be able to operate a motor vehicle, bar-coding tool, personal computer, general office equipment, drafting instruments, or other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions, to include the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, e‑mail, Internet, or other computer applications.
· Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may include ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions; may include ability to compute discount, interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion; may include ability to calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures.
· Must maintain a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable laws/regulations as they pertain to position including Alabama State Ethics laws and Alabama State Bid Laws.
· Must maintain an awareness of new trends and advances in the profession through professional literature, professional affiliations and workshops as appropriate.
· Must be able to perform job task and exercise independent judgment with a high level of accuracy.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively, work under pressure and to prioritize.
· Must be able to proficiently read, write and communicate clearly in English.
· Must be able to maintain a positive and professional attitude and an effective working relationship with, and among coworkers.
· Must possess effective communication skills with ability to handle difficult people or situations.
· Must be able to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
· Must be able to use hands, fingers and wrist repetitively, using a keyboard.
· Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods.
· Must be able to lift, carry, push and/or pull objects and materials up to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl occasionally.
Marginal Functions: (Other duties likely to be assigned).
· Performs general/clerical tasks, which may include answering telephone calls, making copies, sending/receiving faxes, or maintaining files.
· Provides assistance to other employees or departments as needed.
· Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education Requirements
· Associate’s degree or Vocational/Technical degree with training emphasis in Business Administration, Purchasing, or a related area; and
· Three (3) years previous experience and/or training that includes procurement, utility agency purchasing, inventory control, and personal computer operations; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
· Must possess and maintain a valid Alabama driver’s license and be insurable.
· Must pass a criminal background check. Provide customer service for utility customers, to include assisting customers, establishing/maintaining accounts, receiving payments, generating work orders, and processing related documentation.