Americrops Baykeeper Patrol
The Baykeeper Patrol Program researches local pollution problems to improve water quality and reduce impacts from stormwater, sewer, and/or industrial pollution. AmeriCorps Members will work in target areas of Mobile and Baldwin Counties. Core activities include conducting site inspections, patrolling local waterways, investigating citizen concerns, collecting water quality samples, documenting environmental pollution, and creating environmental issue fact sheets. AmeriCorps Members will gain experience with environmental issues including stormwater, sewer, and industrial pollution, state and federal regulations and permit reviews, and field sampling techniques. Depending on the qualifications and knowledge of candidates, the Patrol team members will be responsible for different areas of the Patrol Program. Ideally the members will be split so that each takes ownership over one of the responsibilities listed below: 1. Field Water Quality Monitoring/SWIM Program Coordination 2. Environmental Policy & Special Topics Research 3. GIS and Compliance 4. Field Investigations/Inspections Lead Qualifications:
• Knowledge of and commitment to environmental protection.
• Background of study and/or experience in Environmental Science/Studies, Environmental Policy, Resource Management, Chemistry, Biology, Geology, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or a related field.
• Strong critical and analytical thinking skills.
• Experience conducting water quality tests and field investigations.
• Ability to utilize knowledge of agriculture, biology, chemistry, geology, meteorology, and engineering principles and applied technologies to analyze data and perform research.
• Ability to learn chemical and physical laboratory and field tests according to prescribed standards using field and chemical laboratory equipment.
• Strong written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
• Ability to understand and implement technical processes and policy.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds and feel comfortable carrying heavy items.
• Comfortable working in adverse environmental conditions for long hours.
• Ability to fill out data forms in the field and compil e data in tabular and graphical form.
• Experience with Microsoft-based products (Word, Excel, Outlook). • Ability to learn new software/applications quickly.