Human Resources Generalist
South Shore Insurance Underwriters (SSIU) is a dynamic Gulf Coast owned and operated MGA (Managing General Agent) currently experiencing exciting growth across our footprint. We provide property and casualty agents with the best excess and surplus lines products available across coastal Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina and Georgia – with continued plans for expansion, and are looking to add an Underwriting Assistant to our Team!
Our Company covets Coworkers who perform their jobs in a manner reflective of our Values in that they are: Ethical, Respectful, High Performing, Forward Looking, and a Responsible Partner.
The Human Resource Generalist will run the daily functions of the Human Resource (HR) department including hiring and interviewing staff, administering pay, benefits, and leave, and enforcing company policies and practices. The HR Generalist is team oriented yet is a self-starter. They present themselves with integrity and professionalism and is a clear communicator. We appreciate those who are willing to learn new skills quickly and thoroughly with the goal of advancement in both personal and professional growth. Dependability and initiative are expected as we work together to serve our clients well.
Other requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- At least one year of human resource management experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Windows PC, Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel is required
- SHRM-CP a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organizations HRIS
If this sounds like you, you will be interested to know SSIU’s HR Generalist is responsible for:
- Recruiting, interviewing, and facilitating the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborating with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Conduct or acquire background checks and employee eligibility verifications.
- Implement new hire orientation and employee recognition programs.
- Perform routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Handle employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
- Attend and participate in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; review policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Review, track, and document compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
- Contribute to operational efficiencies.
Physical requirements for the essential functions of this role include:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to repetitively use fingers and hands
- Ability to look at and read computer monitors for extended periods
Click here to let us know you are interested in joining the SSIU Team!
South Shore Insurance Companies provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SSIA, LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
South Shore Insurance Companies expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of South Shore Insurance Companies employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.