SSIU Staff Accountant
South Shore Insurance Underwriters (SSIU) is a dynamic Gulf Coast owned and operated MGA (Managing General Agent) currently experiencing exciting growth across our footprint. We provide property and casualty agents with the best excess and surplus lines products available across coastal Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina and Georgia – with continued plans for expansion, and are looking to add an Underwriting Assistant to our Team!
Our Company covets Coworkers who perform their jobs in a manner reflective of our Values in that they are: Ethical, Respectful, High Performing, Forward Looking, and a Responsible Partner.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for maintaining Accounts Receivable and/or Accounts Payable of one or a combination of accounting systems. Prepare journal entries, maintain, and reconcile complex ledger accounts. Assist with balance sheet, cash flow and income statement preparation. The HR Generalist is team oriented yet is a self-starter. They present themselves with integrity and professionalism and is a clear communicator. We appreciate those who are willing to learn new skills quickly and thoroughly with the goal of advancement in both personal and professional growth. Dependability and initiative are expected as we work together to serve our clients well.
Other requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree with an Accounting emphasis preferred
- Working knowledge of Windows PC, Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel is required
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with the following is preferred: accounting systems, reading, and interpreting financial statements, analyzing issues, defining problems, processing transactions in a timely and consistent manner, and adhering to generally accepted accounting principles is required.
Successful Staff Accountants possess the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technically proficient with respect to understanding of U.S. GAAP.
- Ability to work independently and with little guidance management is necessary.
- Should be flexible and able to switch quickly from one project to another when dictated by business need.
- A willingness to put forth additional effort and work extra hours when critical projects arise as well as availability to communicate with people in different time zones are important. A positive, can-do attitude is expected.
- Selects appropriate means of communication; questions to seek clarification and understanding.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Listens actively to others; conveys appropriate information to others.
- Scope – work on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Accountability – under minimal supervision, makes sound professional decisions. Work leadership provided by assigning work and resolving problems.
If this sounds like you, you will be interested to know SSIU’s Staff Accountants are responsible for General Accounting Functions, including but not limited to:
- Maintain Accounts Receivable and/or Accounts Payable
- Work closely with various departments of business
- Prepare and record monthly journal entries.
- Assist with bank reconciliations
- Reconcile various balance sheet accounts for SSIU.
- Close out accounting periods within AMS and ALIS.
- Prepare various analyses for SSIU on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Other various tasks as assigned
Physical requirements for the essential functions of this role include:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to repetitively use fingers and hands
- Ability to look at and read computer monitors for extended periods
Click here to let us know you are interested in joining the SSIU Team!
South Shore Insurance Companies provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SSIA, LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
South Shore Insurance Companies expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of South Shore Insurance Companies employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.