Underwriting Assistant, Personal & Commercial Lines
South Shore Insurance Underwriters (SSIU) is a dynamic Gulf Coast owned and operated MGA (Managing General Agent) currently experiencing exciting growth across our footprint. We provide property and casualty agents with the best excess and surplus lines products available across coastal Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina and Georgia – with continued plans for expansion, and are looking to add an Underwriting Assistant to our Team!
Our Company covets Coworkers who perform their jobs in a manner reflective of our Values in that they are: Ethical, Respectful, High Performing, Forward Looking, and a Responsible Partner.
The Underwriting Assistant is responsible for processing applications for personal and commercial insurance cover, including reviewing and finalizing application packets, loss runs and supplemental information to issue insurance policies. This position relies on sensible judgement and meticulous attention to detail. The underwriting assistant must ensure that accurate information is collected and entered into the company management system whereby policies are issued. Primary focus on Property and Casualty. This position allows uncapped potential for growth and earning. A great candidate must be outstanding at relationship building and dedicated to an impeccable customer service experience. An Underwriting Assistant is team oriented yet is a self-starter. They present themselves with integrity and professionalism and is a clear communicator. We appreciate those who are willing to learn new skills quickly and thoroughly with the goal of advancement in both personal and professional growth. Dependability and initiative are expected as we work together to serve our clients well.
Other requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; Relevant Work Experience may substitute for degree requirement. High School Diploma required.
- Previous insurance experience and knowledge of P&C insurance and underwriting concepts required (minimum 1 year).
- Agency relations experience and additional insurance education a plus. Ability to work in team environment and independently.
- Working knowledge of Windows PC, Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel is required.
Successful Underwriting Assistants possess the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and with little guidance management is necessary
- Should be flexible and able to switch quickly from one project to another when dictated by business need.
- A willingness to put forth additional effort when critical projects arise as well as availability to communicate with people in different time zones are important. A positive, “can-do” attitude is expected.
- Selects appropriate means of communication; questions to seek clarification and understanding.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Listens actively to others; conveys appropriate information to others.
- Scope – work on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Accountability – under minimal supervision, makes sound professional decisions. Work leadership provided by assigning work and resolving problems.
If this sounds like you, you will be interested to know SSIU’s Underwriting Assistants are responsible for:
- Review applications, renewals, and change requests; gather necessary information and make decisions regarding risk acceptability within prescribed limits of authority
- Complete policy processing, including invoice, bind and policy creation, review, and issue
- Communicate with agents regarding risk acceptance, declination, or modifications
- Learn, through education and training, technical information regarding underwriting, coverages, rates, and risk selection
- Compute rates on applications, endorsements, and quotes as necessary
- Ensures compliance with underwriting strategies and regulatory compliance
Physical requirements for the essential functions of this role include:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to repetitively use fingers and hands
- Ability to look at and read computer monitors for extended periods
Click here to let us know you are interested in joining the SSIU Team!
South Shore Insurance Companies provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SSIA, LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
South Shore Insurance Companies expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of South Shore Insurance Companies employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.