WHITE-SPUNNER CONSTRUCTION (WSC) IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE COMPLETION
OF THE NEW JACK EDWARDS AIRPORT CONTROL TOWER
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, Wednesday, Nov 10th
Gulf Shores, AL (Nov. 9, 2021) – Mobile-based general contractor White-Spunner Construction (WSC) is pleased to announce the completion of the new Jack Edwards Airport Control Tower. A ribbon cutting ceremony will be held Wednesday, Nov. 10th at the Jack Edwards Airport located at 3190 Airport Drive in Gulf Shores.
WSC was contracted by the Airport Authority of the City of Gulf Shores and worked in partnership with Barge Design Solutions to construct the new 5,277 square foot tower. The tower itself, a first-ever project for WSC, consists of seven levels built with two-toned precast concrete exterior panels with steel and concrete floor systems. There are architectural steel canopies on all four sides of the tower. The curtainwall window glass and glazing are designed to exceed hurricane and impact standards due to its proximity to the Gulf Coast. In addition, WSC oversaw the coordination of utilities, the asphalt drive and concrete sidewalks. The overall cost of the project was $4,269,191.
“The cab lift is the technical portion of the project that happened with ease, due to the immense planning and preparation by our team of builders at WSC,” said WSC VP Craig Blackburn. “Working at a very active airport along with the Gulf Coast weather and hurricane season brings its hurdles but planning and preparation was key to the project being a success and our team knocked it out of the park on this one. Great project along the Gulf Coast and proud to be a small part of the expansion of the airport.”
Interesting Facts About the Jack Edwards Airport Control Tower:
- Nearly two million pounds of concrete
- 120 steps
- Laminated glazing 1” thick weigh 500 pounds per pane or 8,000 pounds
- The 70’ cab floor tower height was determined by careful study of the distance and angles to the furthest movement areas
- Controllers can see all movement areas on the airport
- Structure weighs over 2 million pounds (250,000 gallons of milk)
- 500,000 pounds of concrete distributing the load to a compacted stone pier foundation
- Each of the precast wall panels are one foot thick (42,000 pounds-21 tons)
- Over six miles of copper electrical and communications wiring
- Aircraft can talk to the tower 30 miles out
- Federal funds through AlDOT for construction
- Over 100 Alabama companies had a part in the design and construction
- FAA provides and funds ATC staffing
- State of the art communications system, technology equivalent to the Pensacola tower
About White-Spunner Construction, LLC
An employee-owned company, White-Spunner Construction, LLC (WSC) is a general contracting, design-build and construction management firm headquartered in Mobile, Alabama. Founded in 1981, the company has been in business in Mobile for 40 years. In the early years, the primary focus was commercial construction projects along the Gulf Coast. However, as the company continued to grow, the emphasis shifted toward larger and more diverse projects spanning the Carolinas to Texas. Today, WSC has completed thousands of projects in at least 28 states. General contracting and construction management services are provided for a wide variety of clients, including several Fortune 500 companies.
WSC has earned an excellent reputation for providing experienced resources, competitive pricing, superior client services and outstanding finished projects to every customer. Their ultimate goal is to build strong, long-lasting relationships with clients by delivering each project with the highest level of safety, quality and integrity. The company is fully committed to always meeting the needs of clients by doing what it takes to complete each project on time and on budget. White-Spunner Construction has maintained deep roots in these values since it first began, which has led to recurring business opportunities from many customers. For more information, visit white-spunner.com or call 251.471.5189.